Paul C. Cabot Distinguished Professor of Medical Biophysics, Harvard Medical School
Senior Radiologist, Brigham and Women’s Hospital
Quondam Daniel C. Tosteson University Professor, Harvard
Harvard Medical School
25 Shattuck Street
Boston, MA 02115
- BS - Quantitative Biology, MIT
- MS - Physical Biology, MIT
- MD - Harvard Medical School
- PhD - Biophysics, MIT
- Internal Medicine, Peter Bent Brigham Hospital
- Radiation Biology, Cambridge University
- Nuclear Medicine, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions
- Experimental Nuclear Medicine, CNR at University of Pisa
- Radiation chemistry of biomolecules
- Characterization of DNA damage from ionizing radiation
- Cellular responses to Auger electron-cascades and other densely ionizing radiation
- Targeted radionuclide therapy and imaging
Administrative Experience (all at Harvard Medical School)
- Executive Dean for Academic Programs
- Founding Director, Joint Program in Nuclear Medicine and Laboratory for Experimental Nuclear Medicine
- Director, MD-PhD Program
Current HMS Educational Activities
- Lecturer, Radiation Biology for Nuclear Medicine residents
- Project Advisor, Mentored Clinical Casebook
- Chair, Committee on (medical student) Awards and Honors
Selected National and International Activities
- Secretary, American Board of Nuclear Medicine
- Vice-President, National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurement
- Co-Chair, IOM-NRC Committee on Promoting Research Collaboration
- Chair, IOM Committee on Biomedical Isotopes
- Chair, ICRU Committee on Dose Specification in Nuclear Medicine
- Chair, NAS Board on Radiation Effects Research
- Nuclear and Radiation Studies Board of the National Academies
- DOE Biological and Environmental Research Advisory Committee
- College Research Board of the University of Tasmania
Elected Membership and Fellowships
- Institute of Medicine of the National Academies
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American College of Nuclear Physicians
Selected Recent Publications
- Kassis, AI, Wen PY, Van den Abbelle AD, Baranowska-Kortylewicz J, Makrigiorgos GM, Metz KR, Matalka KZ, Cook CU, Sahu SK, Black PM, Adelstein SJ. 5-[125I] Iodo-2’-Deoxyuridine in the Radiotherapy of Brain Tumors in Rats. J Nucl Med 1998; 39:1148-1154.
- Walicka MA, Vaidyanathan G, Zalutsky MR, Adelstein SJ, Kassis AI. Survival and DNA Damage in Chinese Hamster V79 Cells Exposed to Alpha Particles Emitted by DNA-Incorporated Astatine-211. Radiat Res 1998; 150:263-268.
- Walicka MA, Ding Y, Adelstein SJ, Kassis AI. Toxicity of DNA-Incorporated Iodine-125: Quantifying the Direct and Indirect Effects. Radiat Res 2000; 154:326-330.
- Ho N, Harapanhalli RS, Dahman BA, Chen K, Wang Ketai, Adelstein SJ, Kassis AI. Synthesis and Biologic Evaluation of a Radioiodinated Quinazolinone Derivative for Enzyme-Mediated Insolubilization Therapy. Bioconjugate Chemistry 2002; 13:357-364.
- Xue LY, Butler NJ, Makrigiorgos GM, Adelstein SJ, Kassis AI. Bystander Effect Produced by Radiolabeled Tumor Cells In Vivo. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences; 2002; 99:13765-13770.
- Adelstein SJ, Green AJ, Howell RW, Humm JL, Leichner PK, O’Donoghue JA, Strand SE, Wessels BW. ICRU Report 67: Absorbed-Dose Specification in Nuclear Medicine. Journal of the ICRU 2002; 2(1).
- Adelstein SJ, Kassis AI, Bodei L, Mariani G. Radiotoxicity of iodine-125 and other Auger-electron-emitting radionuclides: Background to therapy. Cancer Biother Radiopharm 2003; 18:301-316.
- Britz-Cunningham SH, Adelstein SJ. Molecular targeting with radionuclides: State of the science. J Nucl Med 2003; 44:1945-1961 (Review).
- Chen K, Adelstein SJ, Kassis AI. Molecular Modeling of the Interaction of Iodinated Hoechst Analogs with DNA: Implications for New Radiopharmaceutical Design. J Molecular Structure 2004; 711:49-56.
- Urashima T, Wang K, Adelstein SJ, Kassis AI. Activation of Diverse Pathways to Apoptosis by 125IdUrd and γ-Photon Exposure. Int J Radiat Biol 2004; 80:867-874.
- Kassis AI, Kirichian AM, Wang K, Semnani ES, Adelstein SJ. Therapeutic Potential of 5-[125I] Iodo-2’-Deoxyuridine and Methotrexate in the Treatment of Advanced Neoplastic Meningitis. Int J Radiat Biol 2004; 80(11-12):941-46.
- Kassis AI, Adelstein SJ. Radiobiologic principles in radionuclide therapy. J Nucl Med 2005;46(Suppl 1):4S-12S.
- Kishikawa H, Wang K, Adelstein SJ, Kassis AI. Inhibitory and Stimulatory Bystander Effects are Differentially Induced by Iodine-125 and Iodine-123. Radiat Res 2006; 165(6):688-694.
- Pospisil P, Wang K, Iyer LK, Adelstein SJ, Kassis AI. Computational Modeling and Experimental Evaluation of a Novel Prodrug for Targeting the Extracellular Space of Prostate Tumors. Cancer Res 2007; 67(5):2197-205.
- Wang K, Kirichian AM, Al Aowad A, Adelstein SJ, Kassis AI. Evaluation of Chemical, Physical, and Biologic Properties of Tumor-Targeting Radioiodinated Quinazolinone Derivative. Bioconjugate Chem 2007; 18:754-764.
- Balagurumoorthy P, Chen K, Adelstein SJ, Kassis AI. Auger electron-induced double-strand breaks depend on DNA topology. Radiat Res 2008; 170(1):70-82.
- Kassis AI, Korideck H, Wang K, Pospisil P, Adelstein SJ. Novel prodrugs for targeting diagnostic and therapeutic radionuclides to solid tumors. Molecules 2008;13:391-404.